Episode #6

Fixing Food


June 15, 2022

Episode Length:


Episode Guests:

Abra Brynne – Food Systems Advocate

Erin Harris – Owner of Kootenay Meadows Farm

Michael and Marie-Eve Albert – Owners of Apple Quill Farm

Elizabeth Quinn – Executive Director of Fields Forward Society

Episode Overview

A century ago, the Kootenays produced approximately 70 per cent of their food and imported the other 30 per cent. Today, that ratio has flipped. For a region blessed with bountiful water and rich soil, why aren’t we producing more of what we consume? We talk to creative people with their hands deep in the dirt of positive change.

Related Reading

Food Access & Recovery Grants

The Columbia Basin Trust’s Food Access and Recovery Grants support community-led projects that increase access to affordable, quality, local food, with particular emphasis on supporting vulnerable populations. This includes projects that support creating or enhancing communal growing/processing spaces and diverting food that would otherwise be wasted.

Learn More

Grassland/Rangeland Enhancement Program

If you have an idea that will maintain or enhance grassland and rangeland resources while meeting conservation, environment and recreation objectives, this program could help support it. This program is delivered by the Kootenay Livestock Association.

Get Info

Food Producer And Processor Career Internship Program

The Food Producer and Processor Career Internship Program is designed to financially support employers with retaining an emerging professional who demonstrates a commitment to a career in local food production/processing. The program provides support to the Basin’s local food production and processing sector with up to 70 per cent of an intern’s salary and mandatory employment related costs.

Discover More